Those Commemorated

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission records that 2nd Lieut. Stevens died, aged 23, and was buried in Boulogne Eastern cemetery; he was the son of Mary Ann and the late Eustace Stevens, of Great Wolford, Shipston-on Stour. Having been born and brought up in Bledington, he is also commemorated on the Bledington War Memorial.

The London Gazette of 23rd October 1914 records the promotion to the rank of Second Lieutenant, Prince of Wales's Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment), of Lance Corporal Arthur Eustace Stevens, The Gloucestershire Regiment, "for service in the Field"

On 25th August 2015, his citation for the award of the Military Cross was published in The London Gazette: Second Lieutenant Arthur Eustace Stevens, 2nd Battalion, The Prince of Wales's Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment), attached 1st Battalion, The Hampshire Regiment. For conspicuous gallantry in the operations south of Pilkem, on 6th July 1915, when in charge of the Grenadier platoon of the Hampshire Regiment, he led his men with the greatest courage, was the first man into the German trenches, and used his grenades with deadly effect until he was wounded.

The Evesham Journal in August 1915 reported:

"GREAT WOLFORD LIEUTENANT'S DEATH: Mrs Eustace Stevens, of Great Wolford, Shipston-on-Stour, has received a telegram from the Keeper of the Privy Purse, expressing the deep regret and sympathy of the King and Queen, on the death of her son, 2nd Lieut A E Stevens. Lieut Stevens, who was 23 years of age, joined the 1st Gloucesters on April 25th 1912, was made a lance corporal in eleven months, and was made corporal on August on Aug 7th 1914. He went out to the front on August 12th last, and in consequence of performing a deed of special gallantry, he was given a commission as 2nd Lieutenant. He was described by his commanding officer as most brave and loved by all officers and men in his battalion. On July 10 his mother received news that he was wounded and was in hospital in Boulogne. She also received a communication asking her to go and see him. She went over immediately and stayed in Boulogne until he passed peacefully away, all her expenses being paid out of the fund controlled by Princess Victoria and other ladies. Mrs Steven speaks most highly of the manner in which her son was looked after in the hospital and says he could not have been better cared for if he had been a king's son. She urges all mothers to go and see their dear ones if they are sent for".

Lawrie Thompson